- Most people who advocate mother tongue instruction send their kids only to English medium schools.
- It may argued that mother tongue instruction rationale is only for 1st generation kids. But, there are examples where 1st generation learners learnt to cope up, even when taught in English.
- There’s an emerging trend in US to teach 2 languages to children.
- There’s also research suggesting that bilingualism is advantageous, though people differ on the extent of advantage.
- Most of all, the mother tongue instruction doesn’t align with the aspirational parents, who see English as a symbol of emancipation. Surely, one shouldn’t be denying some the benefits of English, while sending one’s own kids to English medium schools.
- Ease of learning the language
- Child’s perseverance
- Teacher’s capacity
English is a language of emancipation. The poor are scared of those who speak English. They feel like slaves. We wanted to bust that stereotype. The parents feel like they have been excluded from the language for 2,000 years, and want their children to occupy that space, which has only been the domain of the ‘elite’.